A formal assessment of your existing and planned resources and virtualisation needs should be done before attaining a virtualisation solution.
How virtual machines will be distributed across physical computers can be determined using capacity planning for optimal performance and ease of management. Your assessment should answer the following questions:
- How many servers do you have?
- Which roles do they serve: application, database, web, etc?
- How many servers do you need?
- How many users do you serve?
- Do you have any issues with your current servers?
- Do you want to streamline any processes?
- Which server utilisation trends have you observed?
- What percentage of your resources are underutilised and for how long, on average?
- Which usage patterns would you prefer to see?
- How much of your existing infrastructure can you virtualise?